Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Transformation Nation: Thursday (NYC adventures)

On Thursday, May 17, 2012, Dan and I got up early, got showered/dressed and headed out the door for O'Hare Airport.  We grabbed breakfast at Macaroni Grill which was near the gate we were departing from and offered a nice place to sit down and kill some time.  On our way to the gate we each grabbed a magazine to read and I grabbed a latte and Dan grabbed a soda.  We were lucky enough to have upgraded our seats so we were in the first row behind first class.  The flight to New York seems short and this time I didn't even finish reading my magazine before we were on the ground.  We grabbed our stuff and headed to meet the driver who was taking us to the hotel.

It was a beautiful day in New York City with the sun shining and hardly a cloud in the sky.  We snapped a few photos on the drive from the airport to the hotel.  We tried to check-in but we were really early so the room wasn't ready.  We dropped our bags off and went in search of some lunch.  We walked past quite a few restaurants and checked out their menus but nothing seemed quite right.  We happened upon a place called Rosie O'Grady's on 7th Avenue which had some great outdoor seating.  So we stopped there and had lunch.  We shared an appetizer of smoked salmon (YUM!) and Dan had a swordfish club sandwich and I had a Maryland Crabcake-brioche for my entree.  Both meals came with fries but I ate very few of them having already indulged in a delicious piece of raisin/rye bread from the bread basket.  The food was delicious but the best part of outdoor dining is always the people watching.

After lunch we headed in the direction of Central Park.  Dan had been checking out other things for us to do while we were there but I really wanted to see Central Park and it was such a great day that we couldn't pass it up.  I'd planned on wearing my Garmin so I'd know how far we went but I forgot to put it on when we left but we tracked 3.69 miles and think we walked somewhere closer to 4.5 - 5.0 miles by the end of the day.  The paths are plentiful throughout the park and though we didn't know where we were going we just kept walking.  We stopped at one of the many snack huts and bought a bottle of water and sat down for a few minutes but other than that we kept moving.

We had decided to stop at Whole Foods to check out their beer selection but didn't find much that we couldn't get at home so we passed on that but ended up stopping at a pharmacy because I'd forgotten the "socks" that I normally wear with dress shoes so I needed to find a new pair.  I was surprised at the number of horse drawn carriages around the park - I realized there would be some but it seemed like the line of them waiting to take people on a ride was never ending.  We finally arrived back at the hotel and checked into our room and laid down to take a break before dinner.


After I found out that I made the Top 10 and would be going back to NYC I booked a reservation at Bar Americain.  It was close to our hotel so we laced up our walking shoes again and headed back out.  Once there we enjoyed an appetizer of Wild Salmon with red chiles, cilantro and lime.  I'm generally not a big fan of cilantro but I LOVED it in this dish.  For our entree's Dan enjoyed the ribeye steak with a side of asparagus.  Dan shared a piece of his steak with me and oh my gosh it was so delicious - perfectly cooked and super tender.  I decided to go bold and get the Whole Dorade with Crabmeat Dressing and Roasted Lemon.  I've never ordered a whole fish before so I was a little scared of what might arrive.  I had a little trouble with the bones at first but Dan gave me some quick tips and I was quickly enjoying my fish.  It was absolutely delicious!  For dessert we decided to share the cheese plate and we each had a glass of port.  This is a new found favorite way to cap off the meal.

As we left we were walking by the David Letterman theater so we stopped for a photo and then decided to walk through Rockefeller Plaza.  The city was so beautiful during the day that I didn't think it could get much better at night but with all the lights I was not disappointed.  We definitely took the long way home but after that big dinner I was a little relieved that we spent a little more time walking back to the hotel!

Once back at the hotel it was time to get things ready for Friday.  I'd already gotten my call from The Dr. Oz Show that my car would be waiting to pick us up at 6:15 am to bring us to the studio for hair/make-up.  So, I quickly ironed our clothes and hung them up before bed.  Sleep, however, did not seem to be my friend that night.

Just a reminder to set your DVR or plan to tune in tomorrow to find out the winner of The Dr. Oz Show's Transformation Nation Million Dollar You contest!  Here is the information for the markets that I am aware of:
For friends living in the Oshkosh, WI area - FOX @ 3 pm
For friends living in the Minneapolis, MN area - NBC-Kare11 @ 3 pm
For friends living in the Arcadia, WI area - ABC @ 4 pm
For friends living in the Chicago, IL area - FOX @ 4 pm

You can also consult this link to find out when/where it airs in your area:
http://www.doctoroz.com/find-station

No comments:

Post a Comment