Search This Blog

Saturday, May 26, 2012

HAPPY SUMMER!!!

This weekend is the unofficial kick off to summer but first, let's take a moment to really celebrate Memorial Day weekend.  Thank you to the men and women who have served to keep us safe.  (You can insert your own prayer here - I know I did).

Do you know what one of my favorite parts of summer is?  Honestly?  The food!  I know that seems obvious but all the fruits and vegetables could not be any fresher or more delicious.  One thing I'm particularly excited about is the beginning of our Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) share.  Dan and I have been members for a few years now and we really look forward to the first boxes that we get.  I've found ways to find delicious produce during the "off season" but it doesn't compare with the quality of fruits/vegetables that we get from our beloved Angelic Organics farm.  You may be wondering, Jen, how come you haven't told us about this before?  Well, I did back in 2010 (you should go read this to find out what I thought of my first box!) when we started and I've mentioned it since then.  However, I recently got an email from our CSA that they still had some shares available.  If you're in the Chicago area and not already a CSA member I would really encourage you to try this out - they are even giving potential members a chance to try out the CSA without committing to a whole season.  There are a couple of benefits that I wanted to mention:

1)  You are "forced" to try vegetables as part of the box - because you get them and clearly you don't want to waste them you'll find ways to make these new tasty morsels.  Be warned when you do this you might find out that you and your husband love the same vegetables and now fight over them.  :)
2)  You get vegetables without having to be up at the crack of dawn to hunt them down at the farmer's market only to find that they already sold out!
3)  They even have some delivery areas where they will bring the box to your house but otherwise you go somewhere local (you pick from over 30 different locations) to pick the boxes up (we pick up in Elgin which is really convenient)

Here's what they sent me:

My vegetable Community Agriculture Farm (CSA), Angelic Organics, still has shares available. They deliver all over the Chicago area. Along with their regular full season shares, they are also offering 3 week "try us out"  boxes for $100. Check them out at www.AngelicOrganics.com and sign up at http://angelicorganicsfarm.csasignup.com/members

No comments:

Post a Comment