Search This Blog

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Thankful Things Thursday: Post-race edition

I feel like a broken record when I express surprise that Thursday came so quickly but bear with me because the last couple of weeks have been quite the whirlwind!  Hopefully things will be back to "normal" soon and the arrival of Thursday will stop catching me off guard.  Right now though, it's time to put our Thankful pants on because it's time for another edition of Thankful Things Thursday!

1)  When I was little my parents would take us to northern Wisconsin on vacation and the phrase "gas gets cheaper as you go north" was uttered frequently.  This weekend it was true when Brenda and I kept driving and we found "cheap" gas - $3.68/gallon.  Considering I drove several hundred miles over the course of the weekend that was a welcome price.  Seriously in what planet did it seem like I'd be thankful for gas over $3/gallon?!

2)  The race that I ran this weekend was a chip timed event.  For those that don't know the chip gets attached to your shoe but at the end of this race they have to get the chip back.  There are some lovely volunteers who sit there waiting for you to cross the finish line where they will either cut off your chip (if you used the enclosed zip tie) or they'll untie your shoe and remove the chip.  Or in my case they'll do both because I didn't want to lose the chip!  Then they'll retie your shoe and you're on your way.  I loved that I didn't have to try to take it off myself and that I wasn't walking around with my shoe untied until I got to an area where I could tie it.

3)  Last year after the 5K we walked to Sweet Beans and got coffee.  By we I mean, Brenda (ran the 5K), me (walked the 5K), Dan, Mom and Dad.  Now, I'm big on tradition so when Brenda mentioned that we (me and her because no one else was there) would go back to the coffee shop after the race this year I was all over that.  Additionally we also continued the tradition of eating at a brewpub after the race too.  You really can't monkey with tradition!

Now I realize that not everyone ran a race over the weekend but I'm sure that you did something you're thankful for, right?  Ok, well go on and be thankful!  Whatcha got?

No comments:

Post a Comment