Search This Blog

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Thoughts pre-race

I'm writing this post on Friday so you can read it first thing in the morning on Saturday.  I'm thoughtful that way!  :)  Today is the day that I've spent the last 8 weeks training for.  Today is the day that I'll see if I have what it takes to run 3.1 miles.  Today is race day.

Let's rewind to a couple of years ago when I started Weight Watchers, particularly when I switched to the 4:30 pm meeting and met Kim.  Kim is an avid racer - 5Ks, 10Ks, half marathons, marathons (right Kim?) even the Tower Climb and Hustle Up the Hancock don't even give Kim a moment of pause.  I honestly thought she was nuts - I thought I would/could never do something like that!  Fast forward a year to 2011 when I started walking in 5Ks and I still thought that I would/could never run a race.  Even the high from completing a race wasn't enough to make me think that I could run.  Then fast forward again to the end of 2011 and I realized that I was pretty much at the limit of how fast I could walk.  But I still wanted to do more races and get faster what would I do?

At that point my husband suggested I look into the Couch 2 5K program.  Still thinking he was crazy I checked it out and the more I thought about it the more I thought, "Hey, I think I can do this - I mean I can run for 30 seconds" and so it began!  I started training and then found an app to have on my phone called Learn 2 Run.  It's very similar but it only takes 8 weeks (instead of the C25K program that takes 9 weeks) to be ready for a race.  Plus, I liked that I had an app that would count down the time I had to run.  I mean I don't need to be running and then remember (or calculate) when I should stop running.  The app did all that for me!  Additionally it has more training programs to use - like 5K - 10K (which yes, I am going to start next week) so I was kind of in love with it.  The app also tracks the amount of time running, walking and total.  For those that know me you know that I love numbers/data so this is totally in my wheelhouse.

As I started running more I realized I wasn't crazy about my headphones - I always seemed to end up ripping them out of my ear and then I'd practically trip over them.  Yes, I'm graceful that way!  So I started programming my Garmin Forerunner to tell me when to run and for how long and I love that even more.  I get to completely unplug for an hour when I go running.  So I guess the lessons learned here is that I never thought I'd be running and I certainly didn't think I'd do it without listening to music but I do enjoy it and I definitely like the results when it's Tuesday at 4:30 (weigh-in time).

So, I'll go out today and run 3.1 miles in the peaceful and serene Eagle River, Wisconsin.  The best part is that I'll likely be smiling from ear to ear the entire time.  This is something that I honestly never thought I'd do or enjoy but I will tomorrow and I love the fact that I'm doing something that I doubted about myself before.

Do you ever have those moments where you've overcome something you never thought possible?  How did you feel?  Where did you find the motivation to do it?

---
If you haven't voted yet today (you can vote up to 10 times per day through May 13) please do - I will be eternally grateful!  http://finalists.sharecare.com/finalist/jen+mcelroy

1 comment:

  1. Good Luck!

    The last time I felt like I overcame something was on a rappel tower. It was a fun, team building exercise, where we did a low wall, and a high wall, which I have no problem with. But then the rappel masters opened up part of the tower that resembles a helicopter skid, so there is no wall, you just drop. I didn't want to do it, in fact, I was scared crapless, however, when my direct subordinate did it, I felt compelled, so I did it. I liked it so much, that I did it again, it was actually a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete