Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Another week....

A few weeks ago I proclaimed that I wouldn't "care" about weight loss during half marathon training.  I've been trying really hard to not "care" but I pretty much suck at that.  It certainly doesn't help when I see the scale creeping back up.  The only thing keeping me a little bit sane about this is that I've been not only enjoying my half marathon training but I feel like I've been putting in solid training sessions.  I know that with the increased mileage that my appetite will (likely) increase as well but I'm trying to keep that in check by eating healthy protein, both to keep me satisfied as well as to help with muscle recovery.

In fact, someone posted a link in one of my Weight Watchers forums to the Kashi protein calculator recently so I used to to figure a couple of different calculations and the highest amount of protein it told me I should be eating is 140 grams and the lowest is 128 grams so I decided to average it out for 132-133 grams.  I am going to try getting in that amount of protein for a couple of weeks to see how I feel and if it impacts my weight.  I will admit that getting in that amount of protein and staying within my daily points target has been difficult.  I've had to make a few changes, for example, something like greek yogurt or cottage cheese for dessert rather than a cookie or ice cream.  Seriously, I love cookies and ice cream, this is a major change.

So... what's been going on with you?  How do you mix things up to keep the scale moving in the right direction?

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I used the kashi site and it said 125g. I have been using this site: http://fnic.nal.usda.gov/fnic/interactiveDRI/
    as my guideline and it says 61g. That is a huge difference. I wish I knew why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The FNIC site Dacia posted is legitimate! The USDA has great nutrition info. Protein needs depend on your activity level, weight, & other various things but the average healthy person needs 0.8g/kg/day. Most Americans eat way more than that anyway so it's not a concern!

    ReplyDelete