Search This Blog

Monday, April 1, 2013

HALF MARATHON TRAINING UPDATE: Week 11 and 5

Hello sun & Lake Michigan!
Me, Naomi & Christine
Since I had another double digit long run on my Oshkosh half marathon training plan and an easy 3 mile run on plan I decided to switch up the days and do my long run on Friday and my short/easy/recovery run on Saturday with Team Challenge.  My long run went pretty well (though my knees seemed to be pretty sore after that run) with perfect weather (sun and very little wind) for a long run.  Originally I was planning two more double digit runs but after talking to Coach Barbara I am going to drop them back to let my legs rest/taper before my goal race.

On Saturday I met up with my Team Challenge group in Chicago for a five mile run on the lakefront path.  I was going to be happy if I made it 3 miles but ended up having such a great time running with Christine, Naomi and Michael that I just kept running after I hit 3 miles!  I wasn't paying attention to my Garmin except to check the distance a couple of times.  The first mile or so felt hard - my legs felt heavy and tired but once I got going running felt much easier.  Of course, the beautiful view of the lakefront path on a sunny morning as well as conversation with friends definitely provided nice distractions!

It seems so hard to believe that I am three weeks away from my goal race and that we are already five weeks into training for the 13.1 Chicago half marathon!  Though, if you want to join the team it is not too late!  Just let me know and I'd be happy to provide info...

Oshkosh Half Marathon Training Schedule
Monday:  Run, 3 miles, easy
Tuesday:  Cross train
Wednesday:  Run, 5 miles, tempo (w/u, 3 mi @ 9:43, c/d)
Thursday:  Strength train
Friday:  Run, 3 miles, easy
Saturday:  Run, 10 miles
Sunday:  Rest

And here's how the week actually went:
Monday:  Run, 3.22 miles @ 9:58/mi
Tuesday:  Bike trainer @ 45 minutes, strength train
Wednesday:  Run, 5 miles, tempo (1 mi @ 10:04, 3 mi @ 9:26, 1 mi @ 10:12)
Thursday:  Bike, 30 minutes, strength train
Friday:  Run, 10.68 miles @ 10:27/mi
Saturday:  Run, 4.48 miles @ 9:49/mi
Sunday:  Rest

Not interested in running?  How about making a donation to Team Challenge?

1 comment:

  1. Looks like your training is going GREAT! Glad you got out on Friday; it was a blissful, perfect day for a run.

    ReplyDelete