Search This Blog

Sunday, March 3, 2013

HALF MARATHON TRAINING UPDATE: Week 7 and Week 1

This week is the first week where I'm officially training for two half marathons at the same time!  (What have I gotten myself into?)  I just completed week 7 of training for the Oshkosh half marathon and Saturday was our first group training for the Team Challenge summer season.  GO TEAM CHALLENGE!!  The workout schedule/actual will reflect the Oshkosh half marathon training but I will also be talking about Team Challenge (a lot because it's just that cool!)

Monday:  Run, 2 miles, easy
Tuesday:  Cross train
Wednesday:  Run, 5 miles, tempo (w/u, 3 mi @ 9:54, c/d)
Thursday:  Strength train
Friday:  Run, 2 miles, easy
Saturday:  Run, 8 miles
Sunday:  Rest

And here's how the week actually went:
Monday:  Run, 3.53 miles @ 10:23 (the weather was beautiful so I ran more than what was on my plan)
Tuesday:  Bike trainer, 60:00 (about 15.5 miles - honestly I forgot to check but that's about my average speed)
Wednesday:  Run, 5 miles, (1 mi w/u @ 11:25, 3 mi tempo @ 9:44, 1 mi c/d @ 11:04)
Thursday:  Fat bike ride, 8.33 mi (54:04)
Friday:  Run, 2.68 mi @ 10:47; Fat Bike Ride, 5.42 mi (42:15)
Saturday:  Team Challenge Group Run:  2.52 mi @ 10:04
Sunday:  Run, 8 miles @ 10:36

Team Challenge Summer Season 2013
Our first Team Challenge group run is in the books!  We have 6 coaches in 3 different locations and 8 mentors (including me!) leading over 100 participants to raise money for CCFA (Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America) and train to run a half marathon.  The first week we generally plan to run about 1-1.5 miles but I went back out and ran a little bit more to help encourage anyone still on the course.  It felt great to be able to do that because I know I appreciated it when others did it last year.  I also got to run with Coach Mark (our western suburbs coach) who I likely won't train with much (if at all) so it was nice to be able to chat a little bit with him.  After the group run we had a clinic to talk about ways to approach fundraising and there were some great questions and fantastic suggestions provided.  I hope this means that this will be a tremendously successful season!!

There is still time to join Team Challenge if you're interested in running a half marathon!  Just leave a comment and I'll be happy to provide more information because the more the merrier.  There are some exciting destination races this year!  I'm excited to run in front of a home town crowd in Chicago in June.  I think you should join me... what are you waiting for?

If you don't want to train for a half marathon - how about donating to the cause?  You can use this secure link to make a tax deductible donation.

No comments:

Post a Comment