Search This Blog

Monday, March 11, 2013

HALF MARATHON TRAINING UPDATE: Week 8 and Week 2

These are happy miles
Last Sunday I did my first long run in a couple of weeks, sort of.  The previous weeks that I had 6 miles on plan I'd missed or shortened them because of my cranky IT band but after a couple of treatments with the fabulous Dr. Davenport and some (read: more than usual) stretching before and after running I was scared out of my mind ready to try for my planned mileage.  My plan called for 8 miles but I was going to be "happy" with 7 miles if my hip started acting up.

Dan and I headed out to a nearby forest preserve that has about an 8 mile loop only to see that the paths were covered in several inches of snow.  I was NOT going to be able to safely run 8 miles like that so we headed home.  Once home I tried to map out a route that would not have me running a lot of loops (cause that makes me crazy crazier), filled up my water bottle with some nuun and headed out.  It was a fabulous day for running - little to no wind and the sun was shining.  I ran all through my subdivision, crossed the highway into the active adult community where I promptly got lost.  I looked at my watch to see that I was nearing 6.5 miles and I knew I was at least 1.5 miles away from home.  I had to actually stop and find my bearings to figure out how to get back to my side of the highway.  I finally made it back across the highway and back home.  I was so happy that my IT band cooperated for my run.  The next morning I woke up a little sore but once I got moving around things were fine.  I thought I'd ride the endorphin high from that run for the entire week.

Now to get better control over the warm-up,
cool-down and "resting" intervals
That was until I went out on Wednesday for speed work.  I had to plan another route because my usual route/paths were under several inches of snow.  Again.  So after a quick planning session I laced up my new pair of Brooks Adrenalines, grabbed my nuun water bottle and headed out.  This was going to be the fastest I've ever run for an entire mile (let alone doing it twice) so I was a little nervous that I wouldn't be able to maintain the 9:14/mi pace for a full mile.  Apparently I had nothing to worry about.  Basically I'll be riding these running highs for awhile!

Oshkosh Half Marathon Training Schedule
Monday:  Run, 3 miles, easy
Tuesday:  Cross train
Wednesday:  Run, 4 miles, speed work (w/u, 2 x 1600 @ 9:14, c/d)
Thursday:  Strength train
Friday:  Run, 2 miles, easy
Saturday:  Run, 9 miles
Sunday:  Rest

And here's how the week actually went:
Monday:  Run, 3 miles @ 10:58
Tuesday:  Rest (because I ran on Saturday with Team Challenge and Sunday for my long run I knew that I needed to give my legs a day to recover)
Wednesday:  Run, 4 miles (see stats in the above photo)
Thursday:  Fat bike ride (the weather was just too gorgeous not to ride!) 7.37 miles
Friday:  Run, 3 miles @ 10:04/mi
Saturday:  Run, 9 miles total, 2.5 miles (with Team Challenge) @ 10:00/mi, 6.7 miles (alone at home) @ 10:10/mi
Sunday:  Rest

Our Team Challenge group met at Running Away Multisport in Deerfield and then knocked out 2.5 beautiful and warm miles.  We had a great turn out and it was so nice to meet even more of the team.  When we got back to the store we did some cool-down stretching and then we were given a shoe/gear clinic by the Running Away Multisport folks.  It is always interesting to hear about the new shoe technology and and so much fun to hear ideas for how to prolong the life of your gear.  I didn't know that my running shoes needed 10-12 hours for the foam to decompress (for lack of a better word) after a run.  I did know that technical gear should not be dried in the dryer because it breaks down the synthetic fabric.  My choice for laundering all that running gear?  A little baking soda + Arm & Hammer Sensitive Skin/Unscented laundry soap + cold water in the washing machine.  Once it's done washing I hang it up to dry.

How do you care for your work out wear?

There is still time to join Team Challenge if you're interested in running a half marathon!  Just leave a comment and I'll be happy to provide more information because the more the merrier.  There are some exciting destination races this year!  I'm excited to run in front of a home town crowd in Chicago in June.  I think you should join me... what are you waiting for?

If you don't want to train for a half marathon - how about donating to the cause?  You can use this secure link to make a tax deductible donation.

No comments:

Post a Comment