Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Race Recap: The Jelly Bean 5K

You're going to get more posts than normal this week because I have a busy race schedule.  It started on Sunday with the Fight Forever Virtual 5K, last night I posted about finding your anchor, and today I completed the 5K for The Jelly Bean race (no jelly beans were harmed or consumed during this race!)

This was another virtual race I found out about via some Chicago area bloggers.  The organizer actually held a physical race near Peoria last weekend but I couldn't make it there.  There are a bunch of events you could participate in but I was focused on the 5K.  I had another Learn 2 Run training run scheduled for today anyway so I used that as my pacing strategy.  I was wearing long sleeves because the weather man said it was cool outside this morning.  I sort of regretted that decision around mile 3 but I was definitely glad I started out with warmer clothes on.
not bad...

My training run looked had me doing this:
Warm Up:  5:00
Run:  3:15
Walk:  2:00
Run:  4:30
Walk:  2:00
Run:  4:30
Walk:  2:00
Run:  4:30
Walk:  2:00
Run:  3:15
Cool Down:  5:00

My splits looked like this:


At the end of that run I was still over a mile from home which was good because I hadn't gone the full 3.1 miles yet.  Luckily, my Garmin Forerunner calculated that it took me another 4 minutes to travel the last .24 miles (at this point I was in cool down mode so I was moving slow(er).

All in all I felt pretty good, I had a little pain in my knee but it's been tight lately so I've been trying to stretch it out more and will continue to do so over the next several days because Saturday is another race.  This one will be the first "actual" (read:  not virtual) of the year and I'm super excited.  Two of my friends from WW are doing this race as well so it should be a blast.  Stay tuned....


No comments:

Post a Comment