Search This Blog

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Race Recap: Fight Forever 5k/10k

I can't even remember how I found out about this race - likely from a blogger or someone I follow on Twitter and I really wanted to get my racing season started so I was excited to sign up for this race.  Colleen, aka The Fit Bee, organized the Fight Forever 5K & 10K Virtual Race.  The deal was you can do it either Saturday, March 31 or Sunday April 1 and then report your time back to the organizer.  Apparently we were also supposed to take photos but I forgot so we are  picture-less.

As you may know I am training to run my first 5K which is one of my 2012 goals.  I'm a little over half way through my training plan that I got from an app on my phone called Learn 2 Run.  Today's run consisted of the following:
Warm-Up:  5 minutes
Run:  4 minutes
Walk:  2 minutes
Run:  5 minutes
Walk:  2 minutes
Run:  5 minutes
Walk:  2 minutes
Run:  4 minutes
Cool-Down:  5 minutes

We decided to cover 4 total miles so our cool was really about 1.5 miles long.  Other than my weekly walk with Dan and both dogs I'd never had a work out partner.  This definitely made things fun and we were even able to chat a little while we ran, albeit in short bursts, because we decided to leave headphones at home.  I felt really good while we were out even though my hands were freezing.  This spring mid-west weather is not easy to dress appropriately for because I wished I had worn gloves when we left but once we were into the second interval I was pretty much ok.  My legs felt good the whole time so I was a happy runner!

Our finish time was 47:18 which was pretty good.  Slightly faster than finish times from last year and definitely a time to build on.  Jen and I are running the Egg Shell Shuffle on Saturday and we've already worked out our running strategy so hopefully that will yield an even faster time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment