Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

What motivates you?

After I posted about the debacle last week at the grocery store my sweet cousin, Mel, asked me where I got my motivation.  Thinking about the question now I should have responded that I picked it up at the grocery store before being called a big lady (insert laughing here).  Anyway, the question came up again during the meeting because we were celebrating my loss.  This is great question that deserves more than a funny answer.

Either seeing myself through someone else's eyes or seeing an old photo (pre-WW) is enough to kick me into high gear to eat well and work out.  It goes farther than that though.  I want to be healthy more than I want the food that is calling my name.  I never thought that I would be able to walk/run a 5K and now I know it can be done (for walking) and I see that possibility (for running).  I know people like my sister who has battled her own weight and is now running half marathons.  I see the hard work that people in my meeting group put in and see them succeed and that is so inspirational to me.

For more time than I care to admit I thought that I would always be an obese person.  I thought that because my family has a history of weight problems that no matter what I did I would follow in those foot steps.  It wasn't until I started this program and I saw other people being successful and started experiencing some of my own success that I started to get the confidence I needed to continue on.  The confidence and desire to succeed is stronger than my desire to fail.  I know that I don't have to be perfect and some weeks aren't even close to being perfect but I have to at least try and that is way better than when I started.

So what motivates you?  Do you have a mantra?  Do you have an idol?  What keeps you going?

PS - I want to say a special CONGRATULATIONS to Pat who hit goal.  What a fantastic achievement!!  I'm so proud of you!


No comments:

Post a Comment