Search This Blog

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Intestinal Issues and Weight Loss?

For those that don't know ... here's a little history lesson.  About six years ago I was having some horrible abdominal pain, fevers, and diarrhea and after a few doctor's visits, a ruptured appendix, more barium "cocktail" than you should be allowed to drink in your lifetime and a few hospitalizations I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease.  Crohn's disease is a gastrointestinal (GI) disorder that causes abdominal pain, diarrhea, fevers, vomiting and some other really sexy symptoms.  My disease is in remission thanks to some great doctors, potent medication and surgery to remove a blockage.

Anyway, a few weeks ago a member in my Weight Watchers meeting made a comment about having some GI issues that stopped her from being able to succeed on the plan because she could no longer tolerate the (mostly free) fresh fruits and vegetables which, let's face it, really make the plan awesome.  I remembered something my favorite GI (I've had a few) told me shortly after I was diagnosed.  Fresh fruits and vegetables are harder for your body to digest.  He told me why but my brain was a little bit on overload at the time and I don't remember. He told me that if my symptoms started to flare up (that's what they call it when the disease is active) to switch to cooked, canned or frozen fruits and vegetables.  They are easier for your body to digest and to absorb all the vitamins and minerals that we need from them.

I just wanted to put that out there for anyone else who struggles with GI issues because it is possible to work this plan even when your tummy doesn't really cooperate with you.

If you have other questions about Crohn's or GI issues in general and how I deal with 'em, hit me up in the comments section and I'll try my best to answer.  Clearly I'm no doctor (but I've watched a lot of medical dramas!) so I can't give you actual medical advice but I will tell you what worked for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment