Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Oktoberfest... are we still celebrating?

Over the weekend we held our annual Oktoberfest celebration.  For us this means catered food from a German restaurant in Rockford, soft pretzels from a bakery in Chicago and eight, count them eight, different kinds of beer and lots of friends and family.  The part that I was most nervous about was the trip to Austrian Bakery in Chicago.  I walked in there pretty confident and the moment I spotted the cupcakes, cinnamon rolls and cookies in the display case I started to remind myself that nothing would taste as good as the feeling of getting on the scale and seeing the number go down.  I walked out of the bakery with the pretzels, rolls (for charming husband and his tailgating friends the following day) and one loaf of Cranberry Walnut bread.  I was pretty proud of myself.

Catching up with friends and family is always fun and Saturday night was no exception.  I kept my alcohol to a minimum and loaded my plate with fruit salad and fresh vegetables.  I took smaller portions of the sausage, kraut and potatoes so I could feel like I wasn't depriving myself.  I also kept filling my cup with Crystal Light Peach tea (my favorite non-alcoholic drink) which helped a lot.  I'd given myself the day off from journaling on Saturday which turned out to continue on Sunday since we ate left overs.

By Monday I'd emailed my fabulous sister-in-law asking if she would please take the rest of the left overs.  She agreed and came to pick them up on Monday night.  My leader, Karen, congratulated me on doing this and said that food like that will be in the waste or on the waist.  She's so clever, isn't she?  Apparently what she's teaching is working because I weighed in 1.4 pounds lighter this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment