Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

HALF MARATHON TRAINING UPDATE: Week 5

Training this week was rough.  My hip has still been touchy so I tried to get some training done without making things worse.  I'm not entirely sure that I was successful.  After the tempo run on Wednesday I saw Coach B and we talked about it and she strongly encouraged me to schedule a visit to a sports medicine guy she recommended so I made an appointment for last night.  At the visit Dr. D told me that the problem is a cranky IT band and had me do some stretches... well in all honesty I laid on the table and he moved my leg to see if it'd hurt.  Then he put an electrode on the back of my thigh and used ultrasound to make my muscle contract.  I honestly didn't know if it'd work - that seemed kind of crazy to me but this morning I woke up and it felt much better.  The hip is still a little sensitive but I rode the bike trainer for an hour today with little pain during the workout.  I'm looking forward to getting out for a run tomorrow to see how it feels!

Monday:  Run, 3 miles, easy
Tuesday:  Cross train
Wednesday:  Run, 4 miles, tempo (w/u, 2 miles @ 9:52, c/d)
Thursday:  Strength train
Friday:  Run, 2 miles, easy
Saturday:  Run, 6 miles
Sunday:  Rest

And here's how the week actually went:

Monday:  Run, 3 miles, easy on the treadmill
Tuesday:  Fat Bike Ride, 6.99 miles
Wednesday:  Run, 4 miles, tempo (w/u @ 10:47, 2 miles @ 10:07, c/d @ 11:22)
Thursday:  Run, 35 minutes (approximately 3 miles)
Friday:  Rest
Saturday:  Run, 30 minutes
Sunday:  Rest

Do you have tight IT Bands?  What do you do to make them cooperate and let you run?

No comments:

Post a Comment