Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Again? Yes, again.

[source]
This is not the post that I intended to write today but it's the post I need to write today.  I have to be honest with myself, again, because even though I woke up feeling bloated and puffy today I knew I needed to get to a meeting. I went to my Weight Watchers meeting and stepped on the scale to a 3.4 pound weight gain.  Joanne looked at me with empathy and I shook my head.  It's not that I was shocked because, as I mentioned, I felt puffy this morning but still... sheesh!  I said I hadn't changed anything... still active, still tracking, still eating within my Daily PointsPlus target.

After the meeting I stayed to talk to Joanne a little bit and realized that wasn't quite right.  Recently during my swim workouts I'd been having some muscle cramps.  I read that getting more magnesium could help and one of the places you can get magnesium is from whole grains.  I'd added some whole grain things to my daily intake -- a whole grain english muffin here, some of the Trader Joe's Harvest Grains on my salad, etc...

When I lost my weight I was a high protein, low carb kind of girl and it worked for me.  When Simple Start rolled out I tried it, twice, and gained weight both times because I added more starchy carbs into my day since they were power foods.  You'd think I would have known that basically tripling my intake of carbs was not necessarily going to work for me weight loss wise (muscle cramp wise it's worked fantastically well!).  I guess this means I'm going back to the drawing board ... Not that that's a bad thing.

How was your week?  What changes have you made that have worked well for you?

5 comments:

  1. what about trying a soak in epsom salts? That's magnesium right? Or maybe just taking a magnesium supplement will help?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to look into this epsom salt theory... I hadn't heard it before. The supplement route is probably the way I need to go but I just prefer getting nutrients via food rather than taking stuff... clearly it's not working for me though. Thanks for the tip on the epsom salt!

      Delete
    2. Also the cramps could be from not enough calcium or potassium too. You could also try increasing your intake of leafy greens, brocolli and almonds - also good for magnesium but lower carb than grains and legumes.

      Delete
  2. Well, it sounds like you've at least figured out what is going on when it felt like you were doing everything right. Regardless, I understand the frustration in knowing you are doing so much right, and such a tiny part of it changed things up. You feel like you might as well have eating whatever you wanted and not spent the time counting points, etc! At least that is how I feel when that happens! My week was not so good, but I deserved it. As we both know, you just have to keep on trying! Good to hear how you are doing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it just goes to show, again, that even Lifetime members struggle with maintenance. I'm going to keep on trying and I know you will too. Thank you for the support!

      Delete