Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Celebrations

Oh look, then and now!!
Yesterday in my Weight Watchers meeting my leader closed the meeting by saying:
We will continue to do the things we celebrate.  The small things make a big difference in the long run.
She's absolutely right.  When I was losing weight it was easy to celebrate the small things - the five pound increments, the milestones, the increase in activity.  However, now that I've lost the weight there are less things to celebrate.  A friend of mine, Carrie (she lost 150 pounds on Weight Watchers), and I were discussing this a few weeks ago and agreed that this is probably one of the things that makes maintenance hard.

So, with that in mind here are some of the small things that I've celebrated in the past... and things I want to continue celebrating going forward.  Things I previously celebrated:

  1. Able to sit in an airplane seat with no seat belt extender
  2. Able to put the airplane tray table down without being uncomfortable
  3. Able to shop in any store (not just plus size stores)
  4. Able to walk different distances:  first around the block, then 5K, then 9K, then 10K
  5. Able to complete a basic running program and then half marathon training
  6. Able to eat a meal and not be sick within twenty minutes (seriously, it has happened dozens of times.  Ask Dan or Sheri!)
Here are things that I will continue to celebrate:
  1. Squash trigger food cravings, one day at a time
  2. Finish a half marathon in less than 2 hours
  3. Honestly measure/track what I eat/drink to stay focused
The lists are not all inclusive but are definitely a good starting place.  What little things do you celebrate?  How do you celebrate them?

1 comment: