Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

And another thing ...

Remember two weeks ago when I said we'd gotten back from Alaska and that I gained 14 freaking pounds?  No, I haven't lost it all yet and it's just serving as another reminder of how long it takes to lose it once you gain it.  I did lose weight this week (1.4 pounds) and I'm happy about that and I suppose I am also happy to have the reminder of how quickly things can go bad when you stop following the plan.  Considering how I ate last week I am happy with a 1.4 pound loss.  The reason I say that is that I struggled with (at least in my mind) endless eating.  I ended up eating 20 of the 68 activity points that I earned which is more than I usually do (prior to vacation I was eating 10-14) but apparently not enough to really affect my weight loss.

The other big news I have to share is that I am now smack dab in the middle of week one of half marathon training!  We had our first group run this past Saturday and I met more of the team and got in 1.5 miles.  It was my first time running in a group (other than for a race but that wasn't so much group running since it's ever man for themselves!) and it was fun.  The coaches and mentors (shout out to Coaches Bill & Barbara and mentor Christine) were fabulous to run with.  Coach Bill kept reminding me to keep my head up (given my tendency to fall over, well, nothing I tend to look down which changes my posture.  Coach Barbara gave me a tip to rid my arms/shoulders of built up negative energy and coincidentally run faster.  I also learned some great stretches to do before running which is always awesome since I don't do nearly enough of that.

The distance for Saturday's run was only 1.5 miles.  I wasn't sure how to approach this since I'd been running longer distances and since we were having a clinic after the group run I wouldn't have the time to run longer after the group run.  So, I decided that I'd just try to run really fast for that distance and apparently I did because I ran the distance in 17:39 with an average pace of 10:46/mile.  WOAH!  Who am I?

So what is your big news?  Have you relearned anything (similar to realizing how long it takes to lose weight)?

Don't forget to donate to my Team Challenge fundraising campaign.  It's super simple and tax deductible and it is for a fabulous cause!

1 comment:

  1. funny thing about horses... if you do fall off you dust off get back on and continue trotting! everyone falls off the horse - its how quickly you get back on that makes the difference. you've grabbed the reigns! congrats on the 1.4lb but even more for that pace!

    steph at teamtommytoday.org

    ReplyDelete