Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Holiday Alternative

In preparation for the upcoming holidays I was trying to find some weight watchers friendly recipes because when I calculated some of the points values for my family favorite recipes I was shocked.

Typical Pumpkin Pie = 9 points
Are you kidding me?  9 points???  Yikes.

So, here I offer you some alternatives in hopes they might become your new favorites.
I calculated my mom's stuffing recipe and it rings in about 3 points per serving.  This isn't really bad but a 1 point per serving recipe is so much better.  So check out a new stuffing recipe.

Instead of the butter crusted pumpkin pie, which as I said rings in at 9 points per slice see if you can get your family to try the Pumpkin Spice Muffins.  I don't think my family will accept that as an alternative but I'm making them so my husband and I can have them instead of pie.

For those who don't care for pumpkin pie, here's a new caramel apple salad recipe.  This could easily work as a side dish or a desert.  My friend, Sheri, made it last night and it was out of this world delicious.  She didn't put in the pineapple though and I think you could add either coconut or even some toasted walnuts, though that would definitely bump up your points value if you're not careful.

I haven't tried this but I think you could use some leftover turkey to make some 2 point chili.  Just to be sure to weigh the turkey if you're concerned about points value.

I also read that to safely navigate the holidays you should plan to have 2 vegetable or fruit dishes for every non vegetable/fruit dish.  Do you think your Thanksgiving table will be planned like that?

No comments:

Post a Comment