Search This Blog

Monday, November 17, 2014

A new comfort zone?

A couple weeks ago I mentioned that as part of my new identity I am trying to embrace stepping outside my comfort zone.  I truly believe that when we do that amazing things happen and we suddenly find ourselves doing things that we didn't think possible.  This week was no exception.  When I was little I took swimming lessons.  Or at least I remember going to the pool when I was little.  It was an outdoor pool.  It always seemed cold, at least to me.  The problem is that I don't actually remember learning how to swim.  I can doggy paddle with the best of them but actual swimming is something I never really mastered.
Post Swimming Lessons photo... 

When I was originally diagnosed with a stress fracture the doctor told me that I could swim.  I spoke to Diane to find out about the gym she went to and she told me about this wonderful swim instructor, Ann.  While I was rehabbing my foot I was running in the pool and would trade "hi, how ya doing?" greetings with this very friendly woman who I'd see swimming laps and teaching kids to swim.  One day while I was running she was in the lap next to me.  As we both approached the wall I told her that she made swimming look easy!  She asked me if I knew how to swim and I said no, not really.  She told me she'd teach me.  This was Ann!

So, we set a date and a time.  I paid for lessons and then got nervous.  I wasn't really nervous about the swimming, like I said I could always doggy paddle my way back to my comfort zone which was now about 50 feet behind me.  I was afraid that I'd make a fool of myself.  Or she'd notice how I couldn't swim the length of the pool without being completely out of breath.  Or that my legs are not toned.

Turns out, none of that mattered.  I put my goggles on.  She would show me something.  I'd copy it.  I absolutely loved it.  I felt amazing.  Apparently that comfort zone will move with you.

How have you stepped out of your comfort zone?

1 comment: