Search This Blog

Friday, June 7, 2013

Chicago 13.1 Race Goals

I can't believe I'm a runner.  I know that people say (including me yesterday) that if you log the miles you're a runner.  So, I suppose I'm a runner.  It seems like such a foreign concept after only having started to run less than a year ago.  Regardless, tomorrow I will take on my third half marathon with the fabulous Team Challenge.  So today I am thinking about my goals for the race.  I usually rank them as A (best), B (good), and C (acceptable) goals.

A:  Finish in 2 hours and 10 minutes (cutting over 18 minutes off my Oshkosh half time)
B:  Finish in 2 hours and 20 minutes (you can do the math)
C:  Finish in 2 hours and 25 minutes (see above)

Coach Barbara and I before the half in Vegas
(cause this photo never gets old!)
In addition to the above goals I also want to meet lots of other Team Challenge participants and have as much fun as possible.  However, there is also a serious note to why I run.  I raise money and awareness for the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America (CCFA).  As a Crohn's patient this cause is near and dear to my heart and while my disease is mostly in remission (knock on wood) I have a dear friend, Ali, who is currently battling a very severe flare which has left her bed/couch ridden, in terrible scream inducing pain, and unable to leave her apartment for months.

While I want to set a new PR and have a fabulous race what I really want is to find a cure for this freaking disease!  I'd love to not have to inject myself with medication every other week or have the "pleasure" of having colonoscopies every year.  I hate having to worry about seeing people when they are sick because the medication I take leave me immunosuppressed.  I dread the anxiety that I get when my abdomen starts to hurt or I start to run a fever for fear that I'll end up in the hospital, again.  I want my friends (and me) to be able to live their lives without having to be within spitting distance of the nearest bathroom.

I have asked a thousand times but if you haven't already donated (or even if you have and want to give more) please consider donating to Team Challenge.  It doesn't have to be a big donation because every single dollar adds up.  I am more thankful than you will ever know that you have helped me raise over $5800 for CCFA during my training for Las Vegas and Chicago.  You touch my heart and while I will be thinking of Ali while I run the half marathon tomorrow I hope you know that each person who donated and helped me get to the starting line will also be on my mind.

1 comment:

  1. You are amazing, Jen. I am so excited for you and all the TC runners out dominating the Chicago roads this weekend. Enjoy every single step of the race (even the ones in those later miles that may start to hurt a little!) and remember that the celebration after the race is just as important as the training leading up to it! Thank you for thinking of me. I'll be thinking of YOU. GOOD LUCK! xoxo

    ReplyDelete