Search This Blog

Monday, October 1, 2012

Half Marathon Update - Week 5 & Raffle WINNER!!

Since beginning half marathon training 5 weeks ago I often find myself really looking forward to my weekend group runs.  It's a time to learn new things and sometimes meet new people.  This week was no exception.  Except that it was a little bit different because my Sunday (group run day) began at 3 am.  I'd volunteered to go to Chicago to help put flyers on cars on the marathon course.  Unfortunately, I woke up no less than a zillion times throughout the night to check to make sure that I hadn't missed my alarm.  I hadn't and would go back to sleep but given the number of times I woke up clearly I did not have a very restful night.  Anyway ... I think I was so worried about getting to Chicago on time that I'd completely forgotten about thinking about the run.  Once we started running I realized that this was going to be a VERY long run.  It sucked.  I completed the five miles as planned but it was slow because I ended up walking part of the route.  This was completely mentally defeating and even while it was happening I hated myself for it.  On my way home from training and throughout the day I kept wondering what I'd do tomorrow (aka today) - take a rest day, run or bike?  I finally decided to run and since the training schedule had another 5 miles on tap I decided to knock it out.  It went spectacularly, probably because I actually mentally prepared myself for this run.  When things got a little hard out there I just kept thinking how cool it'd be to text my coach after and tell her I ran all 5 miles with no walking and no stopping.  For the record - sending that text was as awesome as I'd thought it would be!

Let's talk about the rest of the training week:
Here's what I was supposed to do:
Monday: Run 4 miles
Tuesday: Crosstrain or speed
Wednesday: Run 4 miles, medium effort
Thursday: Strength
Friday: Run 30 minutes, easy
Saturday: Rest
Sunday: Run 5 miles

Here's what I actually did:
Monday: Run 4 miles
Tuesday: Bike 13.46 miles
Wednesday: Run (5K to 10K Week 8, Day 1) 5.93 miles
Thursday: Bike 4.36 miles, strength train
Friday: Run 30 minutes
Saturday: Bike 10.29 miles (Failed at the rest day)
Sunday: Run/Walk 5 miles

Ok ... enough about training.  Let's announce the winner of the SPIBelt Raffle!  Thank you everyone for donating/entering my little giveaway.  I'm thrilled that I've now raised more than $2000 for CCFA and your contributions are so much appreciated!  The winner, as chosen by a random number generator, is
 <insert drum roll please>

PAM C!!


Again, thank you so much for participating.  I have another raffle to put up in a little bit so stay tuned because if you already donated you're already registered for that giveaway too!

No comments:

Post a Comment