Search This Blog

Thursday, July 25, 2013

RECIPE: Refrigerator Pickles

Is your garden overflowing with pickles?  Well, my garden wasn't but my CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) box was and so I've been making refrigerator pickles.  The recipe is ridiculously easy and they are so amazingly tasty that while I was slicing the cucumbers this morning I thought I should share it with you.

Refrigerator Pickles
Points Plus Value Per Serving:  1
Makes:  A LOT (serving size is about 1/2 c. pickles)

2 T salt
1/2 t. celery seed
1/2 c. white vinegar
1 c. Splenda
7 c. cucumbers
1-3 onions, depending on size and your liking
1 bunch fresh dill

Day 1:  Slice cucumbers and onions.  I use the mandolin to whip through slicing them.  This makes it go really fast and they are all the same width.  Put the sliced cucumbers and onions in a bowl (Mom used to use an old 5 quart ice cream bucket which was a good size) with the salt and set in refrigerator over night.

Day 2:  Rinse and drain the cucumbers.  Place the dill in the bottom of the ice cream bucket.  Add the drained cucumbers and onions and sprinkle in the celery seed.  Heat vinegar and Splenda until the Splenda has dissolved.  Pour over the cucumbers/onions.

Store in the refrigerator and stir through them every few days.  They will be ready for eating in one week and can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 months.

After a week I usually empty my pickles out of the bucket so I can start a new batch.  I just transfer them to a quart size jar and put them back in the refrigerator.  They are great as a snack or as a side on burger night.  Seriously, go make them now.

No comments:

Post a Comment