Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Less guts. More glory.

If you're friends with my on Facebook or you follow me on Twitter (and if you're not, why not?) or if you haven't been living under a rock you know that I'm getting hooked up with the wonderful folks from the Team Challenge of Illiniois chapter to train and run the Las Vegas Half Marathon (it's part of the Rock 'n Roll series of races) in December.  Last week the endurance manager, Lauren, contacted me so we could meet sometime this week.  She also sent me some paperwork that I could fill out at my leisure and send back to her so I'd be officially registered to race in December.  She told me to return it whenever I could.  I did it as soon as I'd received it and have been so excited since then.  That's my big news!  I'M OFFICIALLY REGISTERED TO RUN THE LAS VEGAS HALF MARATHON!!!!  (Yes, all caps and many exclamation points are necessary)

But here's where I need your help.  I am also raising money for the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America (CCFA).  As a long time Crohn's patient I've been suffered through the "best" and worst of this disease.  Dozens of different medications, even more hospitalizations, and one surgery to remove a portion of my intestine, hence the post title.  Clever huh? Big shout out to Brenda & Alex for that gem!!  So, I know how important the work is that this organization does and want to support them as best I can.  I have a fundraising goal but would LOVE LOVE LOVE to exceed that goal and I'm hoping you'll donate (and pass this message along to friends and family) and help me do that.  All you have to do is go to my fundraising site and donate.  All donations are tax deductible because CCFA is a registered 501(c)3 charity.  

Thank you for all your help, your love and your support.  I also found out that my cousin, Mark, has registered to run the race too.  I'm super excited to possibly have a running buddy for at least a portion of the race and it'll be awesome to compare training notes.  Of course, the built in cheering squad that comes for him will be a spectacular way to break up the course too.  I'm sure I'll be posting more about my training program once the official training program starts.  In the meantime, if you're interested in running with me in Las Vegas, let me know.  Otherwise, please donate!

http://www.active.com/donate/illinoisLV12/LV_JMcElro

1 comment:

  1. What an awesome goal. I have this race in my life list and I know that one day I will do it. Thanks for the reply on Twitter. We have similar start weights (well mine is 10 pounds higher) & I am always looking for more people to follow.

    ReplyDelete