Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

GUEST BLOG: From Abby - She's Back At Square 0


Hi Everyone!
Even though I'm gone I didn't want to leave you guys hanging... so I'd like to introduce you to one of my Twitter friends, Abby.  She's very inspiring to me and I think this post will show you why.

Hello all,
I'm Abby from BackAtSquareZero. A while ago I decided to change my life and get in shape. I went from barely being able to run to the mailbox to training for my second marathon. People ask me what in the world would make me crazy enough top want to run 26.2 miles, or how my training is going, but the question I get asked the most is - "How do you stay motivated?"
Don't get me wrong, I'm not perfect (unless you ask my Oma) so I struggle with days I just don't want to work out. Either I am too busy, too tired, having too much fun doing something else, or just don't want to leave the couch. These are the things I have found that help me out the most when I am having one of those days:

Motivation Tips:
1. Schedule it in - Whether you use an iPhone, Blackberry, tablet, or old fashioned pen and paper be sure to write in your workout just as you do every other task or meeting. It is just as important and you should make sure you treat it as such. Schedule in runs/walks or find classes at a local gym or fitness center that you have to go to at specific times.

2. Find a friend - Recruit one of your own or join a local running, walking, biking group. Exercising is more pleasant if you have someone to commiserate with. Plus when you schedule workout dates you are less likely to skip out (because then you're the jerk that cancelled).

3. Register for an event - Having a set goal means you have something to train or work towards. I always try to have something on my calendar to look forward to. On days I don't feel like running I remind myself of my next race and how I need, and want, to be prepared for it. (I'm currently participating in the Runner's World Summer Run Streak and it gets me out the door ever day.)

4. Be accountable - Track everything you do. I keep a blank monthly calendar on my desk and use it to record my daily workouts. Just be glancing at it I can see the days I missed a workout (marked with a big X). I hate having to cross out the days and love getting to write in big workout numbers. Some days when I am not very motivated I'll record my workout before I leave. Then I feel like I have to stick to it because I don't want to cross it out and change it to something less. I also use MyFitnessPal because I love seeing how many calories my workouts burn. That really motivates me.

5. Give yourself rewards - I don't do anything big or do it very regularly (teacher's salary), but I do allow myself rewards after I meet a fitness, training, or weight loss goal. At first all my rewards were food - Whoops! Then I realized that was not helping me on my quest to get healthy and fit so now my rewards are fitness based. For example: I promise myself that if I ran all 38 days of the Runner's World summer run streak I could buy myself a new Lululemon running tank top. As hot as it is running in my old t-shirts right now (over 90 today) thinking about that tank really keeps me going. (This is the one I have my eyes on. Cute right?)

6. Reflect - Think of how far you have come and be proud of yourself. I keep a before and after picture of myself near my workout stuff where only I can see it. When I feel like I don't want to work out I pull it out and think about how much I have accomplished and how I don't want to go back to my old life style. Don't have an after picture yet? When I first started I kept a picture I hated of myself next to my run shoes, it reminded me of why I wanted to run.

and my biggest tip….

7. Get out the door! - Once you make it out and go a few steps chances are you'll want to go a few, or a lot, more. To do this I put my run clothes on the minute I get home even if I can't run for a bit. If I still lack motivation I'll hop on iTunes and download a new song, pop it on my iPod, & press play. Usually this new music makes me want to get going and I head out the door. Plus by the time the song is over I'm already into it and continue. I'll spend $1.29 a few times a month in order to get my workout in.

I'd love to hear it - What do you do to stay motivated? Any special tricks?
Any work out, running, or motivation questions?
Please comment and let me know

Want to keep the conversation going?
Feel free to talk to me any time. I love to chat about healthy living and working out.
Abby
You can find me at the following places:
www.backatsquarezero.blogspot.com
www.facebook.com/BackAtSquare0
www.pinterest.com/ BackAtSquare0
Twitter & Instagram @ BackAtSquare0

2 comments:

  1. Thank so much for letting me do this:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hardest part is STARTING! Once you start, it gets so much easier.

    ReplyDelete