Search This Blog

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Cooking Lessons - Butternut Squash

I realize this post is coming a couple of days later than normal but what can I say?  Things have been busy!  The weekend was spent scrapbooking with Sheri, Marianne, Anita, Sami, Judy and some other very funny ladies.  I am very lucky because prior to the crop Sheri, the hostess of the crop, sent a survey and one of the questions was about the type of snacks you like.  I checked the fruit box and she provided a ton of delicious fruit that I happily munched away on.  I tried to keep to the WW plan and I was pretty successful in keeping to my daily points target, even with the temptation of birthday cake.  I had a small piece so I wouldn't feel deprived but would have loved a much bigger piece!  Anyway, I knew when I went to weigh-in that it wasn't going to be a great scale day (though I don't think that was because of the cake).  I gained 2.2 pounds but it is more likely because I haven't worked out since I injured my finger.  This is both because of frankenfinger (which is healing nicely if you're curious) and because of the nasty sinus infection/cold that I have and didn't want to make worse.  Anyway, I'm really hoping to get my butt out of bed tomorrow morning for a nice long walk with Tucker.

In other news... let's talk about cooking butternut squash (actually now that I think about it this is how I prepare most squash).  My friend Jen discovered butternut squash this week but mentioned that she bought the frozen/cubed kind and that she wasn't sure what to do with an actual butternut squash.  So, here you go Jen...

My most favorite way to prepare this is to slice the squash in half length wise.  Use a big spoon to scoop out the seeds and stuff from the bulbous end of the squash.  I put them in a pan with about an inch or so of water, cover the pan with foil and bake until the squash is soft.  Usually 45 minutes in a 400 degree oven but that can change based on the size of the squash.  Just insert a knife in and if you get any resistance then it's not done yet.  Once it is finished, take it out of the oven and let it cool (though I usually don't) and then scoop it out of the shell into a bowl.  I like to top it with salt, pepper and a little bit of spray butter.  If it's not as sweet as you like add a little brown sugar or Splenda brown sugar blend for sweetness.

If you're careful with the mandolin you could also just peel a butternut squash and slice it thin and then pan fry them or bake them.  It's tasty like that too but I think the texture is kind of wrong for "fries" because mine ended up being really soft.

I also really enjoy eating this with potatoes or parsnips or a combo of the two.

Do you have favorite ways to prepare butternut squash or any kind of squash?

1 comment:

  1. I like to roast my butternut squash. Chop it into small pieces. Drizzle it with some olive oil, salt and pepper. Place in a 425 degree oven for 20 minutes turning it over once during the cooking time. It tastes like candy coming out of the oven. It is so good!

    ReplyDelete